Wednesday, September 4, 2013

If everything's going wrong, you must be doing something right

UPDATE (9/5/13): Car was just under $300 to fix with tow..so totally not the end of the world. And the shower is "fixed". Have to wait 2 days before we can shower in that one, so we'll see. But I just wanted to say, take that satan! 

It doesn't really seem like it would make sense. But we've all heard the saying, "bad things happen to good people." And as a Christian, I've always been told that when you really seek after God and dig deep into Him, satan will have a fit. There's nothing more that satan hates than a Christian living out the Word, and he'll try to even use the Word against you.

For example, right now I've been hearing over and over... "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose." (Rom. 8:28). Now, as it plays over and over, I hear this tiny voice in the back of my mind saying "so what's the deal? Why is nothing working out for good?"

Let's rewind a few months. Holwell and I bought our (first)  home this past January and it's awesome! We love our new home and our little family. But if you've ever purchased a home, and like us, don't make a ton of money, you know that the process of purchasing a home, moving into and furnishing said home tends to incur A LOT of expenses. Hence, we don't have much anything left in our savings.

Side note: I have been going through this cycle for the last 5 years or so: 1. own a crappy car because can't afford a nice one 2. after about 1-1.5 years of car ownership, car                           (insert horrible thing that causes car to go to junkyard) 3. by new old crappy car with the very little bit of savings I have 4. repeat steps 1-4.

Almost back to present! So last week the car started riding a little rough. The engine light has been on for a while, so I called our mechanic to see if he could check it out. He couldn't see me for a couple of days and I needed an oil change anyway, so I took it to get an oil change at another local shop and that seemed to help a bit. I took it to the shop the next day anyway, just to be safe. He cleared it and reset my engine light.

AND yesterday....(almost to today, I promise) :). Ok, so yesterday as I'm pulling in to work I start smelling the burning smells and the car starts to shake, temp is getting HOT. UGH. Been there, done that, not excited about it. Try to get home after work and make it about 5 miles, barely. So I leave it in a parking lot and have Holwell come get me. PS., we live about 40 min away from where I work, so I got to sit in the heat while waiting for my ride. YAY!

OK now to today! Told you I'd make it. I decided to not let the situation get me down, it could be worse...I didn't blow a head gasket! So we got up early and went to the gym. I pushed myself today, even though I am still very sore from installing Simba's in-ground electric fence (more about this another time). It felt amazing. I ran, I cranked out some crunches and when we left the gym at 7, it was still a little cold out, so the brisk air felt wonderful. Got home, hopped in the shower and started getting ready for my day. Everything was going fabulously, I was early (never happens), my hair was working for me (never happens), and life was grand. And then Holwell came upstairs to awaken me from my fantasy. Whilst taking my fantastic shower, it seems the ceiling downstairs started leaking. WHAAAT??!

Ok ok, Kasey, calm down. We know the guy who put the shower in and he will probably look at it for free, because even though he's apparently not that great of a plumber (we've had issues with this shower before), he is very nice and pretty handy.

Can't worry about the shower right now..have to get my car towed home to the mechanic and find out what's wrong. After some quick research, I find out that my car insurance does not include roadside assistance, even though it only costs about $1.50 A MONTH. Definitely added that. So I call the tow company and find out it's going to be $135 for the tow. Yuck.

At this point, I just can't take it anymore. I call Holwell and start to bawl. WHY?? Why did my car have to crap out? Why did the shower have to spring a leak? Why does my car always do this right after I fill up my gas tank?
And then that little voice again: "I thought things were supposed to work for good? I thought you were blessed?"

I AM BLESSED. THINGS WILL WORK OUT TOGETHER FOR GOOD. Just because it seems like everything is falling apart, right this instant, it's not. Today is just one day, just one week, just one month, just one year, out of many years of being blessed. Yea, today sucks. But just like last year when I heard that little voice telling me there was no way I was going to be able to be a homeowner, God stepped in in the eleventh hour and we closed on December 31st, the day before our loan paperwork was due to expire, just like He will step in for me now.

I also know that God works through people...so if you just happen to feel God moving you to give me a car, I am ready and willing to accept that blessing!

My joy and my blessings :)

No comments:

Post a Comment