Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Importance of Relationships

Well as of this week, I am no closer to my blog's purpose than I was last week. However, I would like to share a little bit of what my job entails and why I enjoy it. As you know, I am a wedding coordinator. Being in the wedding biz is a lot like being in any other business: you are constantly looking for connections, referrals and new customers.

Well, today I got the opportunity to go to the Columbia Business Showcase. It was so exciting to see so many businesses showcasing their services and products. As I walked around the exhibits I start to notice that some booths are crowded with people, while others received no attention. So I began to observe and find out why. I saw a few booths that looked exciting and had several people looking at the information they had set out. A few other booths had food and drink and of course had attracted attention that way. At this point, I thought that maybe the TV screens, iPads and food were the attention attracters. Then I came across some booths that were very plain, but were still attracting attention. What was different?

Then I saw two booths right next to eachother, neither seeing any visitors. One had a drawing and big TV screens. Lots of color and looked really exciting. The other booth had one simple banner. They both had something in common though, neither of the workers at the booth looked happy or like they wanted to interact with anyone. Aha! Relationships! We talk about it all the time, business is about making relationships. All of the booths that were getting the attention had people that were interacting with visitors, asking them how their day was and if they were enjoying the show. They asked questions, got involved and built a relationship with the person they were talking to.

That is the most important thing in business, any business. And making connections, or relationships rather, is what I love to do. It makes me very happy that something I am good at and enjoy doing can help my career and business grow.

Maybe I have found a purpose after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment