Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Not Just The Mortician's Wife

I wear many hats, the wife to a mortician is only of them. Oh, you didn't know that not all I thought, wrote, talked about and experienced was a life surrounded by death? Well check this out: I'm also a full time student, wedding coordinator, accountant's assistant, regular wife, housekeeper, cook (this one's a slight exaggeration), oldest sibling of 11, daughter and friend.  And this week I am for sure feeling the pressure of balancing them all. Don't get me wrong. For the most part, I love all of my fabulous hats, and the perks that I get from them. Take for instance, my sibling hat. It is one of my most favorite! Just this week my baby (yes, she's a 20 year old baby) sister asked me to proofread her paper for one of her theater classes. It just made my day that she would come to me for advice and help. It also gave me the opportunity to be grateful for my student hat. That one can sometime's be a difficult one to love, but without it, I would not be able to be there for my sister in such a capacity. 
Another hat that recently has been a bit weightier than usual is the daughter hat. Ok, let's pause for a second. I'm tired of using hats as a metaphor for the roles I play in life. And we're back. I've always been extremely family oriented and emotional. Subsequently, it's always been a little difficult for me to deal with changes in the family dynamic. Now that I am married, it's been a little easier having someone to be there for me. However, dealing with broken relationships and whole family units moving 2 hours away has really hit me hard this week. And when one role is weighing so heavily on you, especially one so high on the priority list, it really puts everything else out of balance. I do not function well unbalanced. So in order to combat the imbalance, I am focusing more of my energy on my other responsibilities. So when my sister asked me for help on that paper today, I'll admit, my heart did a little happy dance :). 
LOVE these kids! (2006- Stone and Jordan)

Me and my sis at her high school graduation (2010)

I don't know what I'd do without these two very special people in my life. And of course my hubby. They make all the rough days a little sunshinier :)

No comments:

Post a Comment