Monday, February 6, 2012

Ready, Set, GO!

First blog post! Yay! In my first few words, I remember my boss telling me "You use too many exclamation points. It makes whatever you're writing sound desperate and poorly written". And of course, my response was, "but I'm excited!” And I typically am. I tend to be happy, excitable, and easily amused. Like right now, I am excited to be writing my first blog post! (If you could not tell). I am also pretty goofy. There is never a dull moment when you get me and my husband, Holwell together. He's a goofy one too. We play off of each other and have lots of fun. We are fairly normal though. We both work full time, have a house that's a pain to keep clean, and enjoy a relaxing TV session with our favorite DVR'd shows. Oh, I almost forgot...My husband is a funeral director and mortician.

His family has owned funeral homes in the mid-Missouri area for over 100 years. It is their way of life. Holwell started handing out programs at funerals when he was around 7 and saw his first embalming at the ripe old age of 12. I still remember the day I met Holwell and my response to him telling my about his family's business: "EWWW"! I know, so mature. I believe I also said something along the lines of, "I'd never date a guy that touched dead bodies for a living, not that you're asking me to be your girlfriend". (AWKWARD). 

And here we are! 4 1/2 years later, I am the wife of a mortician...and I could not be happier. There are things I hate about the funeral business though. I hate when Holwell calls and says, "I just picked up the body of a 15 month old". And I cried for the family that had lost their baby girl. But that is rare. I hate when the phone rings at 4 am Holwell has to leave me to go pick up a body. I hate when things get tight because we haven't had a funeral for several weeks (and the guilt that comes with wishing for one). BUT, there are things that I love about this business! I love that everyone in town knows the May name. I love that my husband works across the street from our house. I love that I get to see Holwell in a suit on a regular basis (sexy, hehe). And most of all, I love that there's a pretty good chance that we will never go out of business.

Being in the funeral business is weird, sad, humorous, and gets me the craziest questions, but I wouldn't change it for a thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment